Re: Help: FAQ format problem

---------

Ping Huang (pshuang@mit.edu)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 19:46:57 -0700

MIKEHOLLOWAY <Holloway@cris.com> wrote:

> Note that the coding problem is only in Part 1. There is no difference in
> the headers, or the editing program used for Part 1 and the other 3 parts.
> I've been unable to find what the problem is. All parts have been edited,
> saved and mailed with the same software.

I don't know if I qualify as a nice guy, but....

o Part 2 contains solely of standard ASCII characters. However...
o Part 1, when de-MIME'ified, contains a single non-ASCII character.
To prevent software from automatically decoding the MIME'ified
characters, I have replaced the equal sign with the underscore
character.

"can now live and we thank you for your patronage of our efforts._A0"

A single non-ASCII character is probably enough to make Pine enable
MIME encoding, after which it goes and MIME encodes a gazillion other
things which themselves wouldn't have been enough to force it to
enable MIME --- like spaces at the end of lines, equal signs, TAB's,
lines which are "too" long, etc. --- making the whole thing a MIME mess.

--
Ping Huang <pshuang@alum.mit.edu>; info: http://web.mit.edu/pshuang/.plan
	Disclaimer: unless explicitly otherwise stated, my

[ 1993 | 1994 | 1995 | 1996 | 1997 ]

---------

faq-admin@faqs.org

© Copyright The Internet FAQ Consortium, 1997
All rights reserved